So my lovely friend Veganosaurus – Susmitha gave me this Organic Raw cacao powder. It is my first time using this superfood ingredient. Little bit of research led me to learn so many things about cacao. Cacao and Cocoa and different things! I didn’t know this. I always heard about cacao and had these doubts. But now I feel glad to be equipped with this new knowledge about Cacao 😀
Cacao is like the purest form of chocolate you can consume. It is raw, unprocessed and unheated. Needless to say it has many health benefits. Cacao is considered to be the highest source of antioxidants & highest source of magnesium of all the foods. It has more fiber and nutrients as compared to cocoa. There is so much more to the chocolate than what we eat.. where it comes from, how it is derived. How healthy it really is ! Isn’t it amazing! If you are like me and want more information here is an article explaining this briefly.
Being new to this ingredient I thought of making the simplest thing from this. These Raw Cacao energy bites are simply amazing. Sugar free , gluten free , loaded with goodness of cacao. I am sure many of you need a quick energy push at certain times of the day. For me it is usually in-between my yoga classes. Or sometimes even when I am too lazy to move and make a proper meal 😛 . Sometime back I made these extremely healthy energy bars made with Dates and all sorts of seeds, cornflakes etc. It was soo healthy.. that I hardly ate it 😛 . (Yeah for a person transitioning to healthy food taste matters and little experimentation in the kitchen always helps) As compared to that these little energy bites are like a treat! If I have this ingredient in my pantry permanently I might never have to buy a chocolate again! It satisfies all your chocolate cravings, is good for your health. It is zero guilt binging!
Now I am not a fan of energy bars sold in markets. Most of them are loaded with sugar and are surprisingly called health food! I prefer making my own at home. A big batch made at home, stored in fridge will easily last you 1-2 weeks. A few Indian brands are also selling raw cacao powder and it is not that tough to find. So do try making this energy boosting treat and let me know how you find it 🙂
1 cup Raw seeds or Nuts
(I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Nuts like almonds walnuts would work really well with chocolate)
1/4 Cup cacao powder (can also use unsweetened cocoa powder)
1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
1 cup deseeded Dates chopped
1/4 tsp Salt
1-2 tbsp water
Cacao powder or dessicated coconut for coating
1. Grind the seeds/nuts into a fine texture in a food processor / grinder. Be careful not to overgrind as the ingredients may release too much oil and turn lumpy.
2. To the above add cacao powder, vanilla and salt. Pulse the ingredients together.
3. Add chopped dates and grind again. Make sure all ingredients come together into a uniform texture without any lumps of dates.
4. Add little water at a time and pulse until the ingredients just come together into a dough.
5. Make small balls with the mixture. Roll these balls in Cacao powder / dessicated coconut or both.
6. Chill these energy bites in a container in fridge for an hour or so before serving 🙂
Adapted from –